Friday, November 30, 2012

Networking


Networking is talking with people and sharing about yourself.  It is listening to others and connecting them to other people that you know.

I spent months recently introducing myself to new people and conducting informational interviews where I talked to people about their careers.

I am not against networking.  It doesn't come naturally but I have actually learned to like it.  But it has not worked for me like it has been advertised.  My current job is something I attained because I answered an ad I found on Craig's List.  It was a traditional way into a place of work.

It is sort of sad how much time I spent updating my resume and LinkedIn profile, attending job fairs, and meetings, requesting interviews and talking to people.  Yet there never was a solid offer to introduce me to someone who could use my services.

I don't know what to say about this.  I don't think I am bitter.  Perhaps a bit surprised and disappointed.  I wonder what the reason for all of this goose chasing was.  I would like to find a great fit in a work setting where I am just the right solution for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.