Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 5, 2012

No military experience and why


Over the last few months, I have filled out quite a number of applications.  When it came to military experience, I always put NA or none.  Here is why I don't have any military experience.

I never liked the idea of losing my freedom.  Even if it meant I could possibly play with some cool weapons or heroically defend my country.  GI stands for government issued.  When you enter the military you really are considered their property.  My independence is not something I could give up.  Even for a short few years.

Yelling is something I've never liked.  From what I've heard and seen in movies there is a lot of yelling in the military.  I would rather discuss things and come to an agreement before taking actions.  Screaming may get people to jump but I find it disturbing and unsettling.

Uniforms are not my style.  I like to be an individual.  Part of that is getting to select what I am going to wear.  I don't want to look like everyone else.  Uniforms to me have always meant conformity and I don't like to conform.

Having the benefit of years, I can see how entering the military could be a benefit.  A commitment of four years is really a short time.  There is comradery, the opportunity to travel, and an experience that can be related for many years.  People will appreciate what you have done.

I don't have any regrets about not entering the military.  I just now can see how the military could work for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.