Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Grace of Interruption

In Dan Miller's book "48 Days to the Work You Love", there is a paragraph on the Grace of Interruption.  The credit of this phrase goes to a woman who was let go from her job.  Instead of looking at that as a wholly negative event, she framed it as something much softer.  When we have unexpected time, it can give us time to breath, to catch up, to meet up with people we haven't been able to see because of work, and it allows us to refocus, write goals, exercise, read, and rest.  I had a plan to leave a job that had become very routine, where any small mistake was considered unforgivable, and where the pay was stagnant at best.  I received an invitation to go somewhere with better pay.  Something I was definitely looking for.  However, the hours expected to work and be available was not communicated up front.  I could not sleep, was stressed, and could not get anything accomplished.  Now after parting ways, I am experiencing the grace of interruption.  I am doing those things mentioned above.  Yes, it is a little scary.  The expenses of life do not quit because the paychecks have ended.  Yet, I believe there is something out there for me, I am clarifying who I am, what I want, and what I don't want.  I look forward to a new challenge and I don't assume this is for the worse.  I believe that there are many opportunities out there for me.  I plan on taking initiative and doing my best.  God is my provider, I go to Him in prayer, and I have asked His people for help and prayer.  This is a season of my life that I think I will look back on in some years and see as a great time to reflect and refocus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.