Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 8, 2012

Land management philosophy part 3


Energy conservation.  Plants can be used to make a home more comfortable.  Planting evergreens on the north will cut the wind that comes down from Canada and cause your heater to turn on less frequent in winter.  Planting deciduous trees on the south will allow for shade in the summer and some needed sun in the winter.  I like thinking about these types of things.  It gives me a sense that I have control over my own life and that I can use nature for my benefit.

Native plants.  Whenever possible, I like to see native plants thriving in a landscape.  When I see an oak or a white pine spring up, I let it go and see how it does most of the time.  Knowing what is an invasive plant can be tricky.  I am learning what the non-desirable plants are and there are more than I would have assumed.  Getting those plants out is not as easy as it sounds.  Often times, it is more a matter of having less of them than fully eradicating them.  One word of caution.  Local nursery's will sell exotic plants so you can't rely on them to sell only native plants.  You have to know what you are buying going in.

Beauty.  Having an attractive landscape can be very satisfying.  I like it when there is variety, lots of color, and some order.  It brings a smile to my face and a joy to my heart.  This is something we can affect to some degree and it is a motivation to get out there and try.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.