Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Norwegian Bachelor Farmer


I get a laugh when Garrison Keillor describes the Norwegian bachelor farmer during his Lake Wobegon segment on his Prairie Home Companion show.

Though I am not Norwegian, it is the easiest nationality to reference when I describe my ancestry.

Garrison's description is funny because it is so true and so terrible, in a twisted way.  This hick farmer is someone that goes against everything good parents teach their children in Minnesota.  This farmer is out in the country with a lawn that is about knee high.  He never goes to town to socialize, he misses church, sleeps in, wears old clothes, and lives alone with his junk.

This fictitious guy brings a smile to my face.  Possible because he is a distant relative or because, at my very worse, he is someone that I would probably be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.