Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Emotional Energy

Seth Godin writes in his book "Linchpin" that art is a personal gift that changes the recipient.  It involves digging deep down within ourselves and finding the unique answer and having the courage bring that out.  I grew up in a home where there was not a lot of emotions.  Emotions were feelings, not facts.  Facts were things we could put our trust in because they were true.  As a result, I do not score very high in art or music.  However, in this new economy, I need to tap into my inner self and find that emotion and put that humanity into my work otherwise my work becomes just a commodity, something easy to replace, and therefore I am easy to replace.  There is no security in that.  This is a challenge for me because I have been so much about following rules, leaders, and others.  It has been about complying, obeying, and staying within the lines.  I am being enlightened by this book but it is a sweeping change for me and bringing my artist to work, and releasing emotional energy in what I do there, is something new for me.  When I get past this fear and distrust of emotions, I believe it will open new worlds and generate significant personal growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.