Monday, September 17, 2012

My first 10k

Saturday I ran in the Bear Creek Kraut Run 10k.  It was my first 10k and I survived it.

Friday evening I drove up to the Bear Creek Community Center to pay my entrance fee and to pick up my packet.  The fee was $25.  The packet seemed a little skimpy to me.  It contained a cheep flashlight, a BioFreeze, 2 water bottles, a lip balm, and a can of sauerkraut.  The t-shirts had not arrived yet but I picked mine up on Saturday.

I prepared for this run by jogging 2 to 3 miles three times per week throughout the summer.  For the last few days, I had increased my water intake.  The night before, I laid out my clothes.  I attached my number to the shirt I would be wearing.

Saturday I drove to Bear Creek.  Coincidentally, I took a back route and actually drove 2 or more miles of the race.  I saw the markers, signs, and aid stations along the road.  This helped as it gave me an idea of the course.

I arrived about 7:50 AM, parked my Ranger, and took the fob off my keychain and put it into my pocket.  There were people milling about at the park where the race was to start.  A few speakers were set up and music was playing (rap, which does nothing for me).  I headed to the outhouses to empty out one last time.

By then, it was about ready to start.  I tried to find a few other people with the same color number as I had, which indicated that they were 10k racers.  My concern was that I would not know the route to take and somehow get lost.  The last song played over the speakers was by Europe and it was "The Final Countdown", which I like.  The race got started on time.  The 5k and the 10k racers all started together.

As I was running my first mile I was in a small group.  I talked with a big guy next to me.  He was from Clintonville Fire and Rescue, which was the beneficiary of the race.  He was running the 5k and said I'd have no trouble with knowing where to run.  We split up later down the road as he was going at a faster clip.

I brought my iPod Nano along for music and distraction but it ended up being a burden to carry.  The ear buds kept falling out.  I would try to jam them in my ear and twist them but I could not even make it through one song.  My shopping list now includes over-the-ear type ear buds.  Another extra burden was my wallet which I forgot to leave behind.

At around mile 4 my left leg was started to hurt.  Not joint or bone but muscle I think and just in a general way.  The pain never went away but I had to push through it.  As soon as I was done with the race, the pain stopped.

When I run, I like to repeat Bible verses in my head that will help me.  "The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.  He restores my soul."  " I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."  " The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe."

When I got back to town, the people in front of me were out of sight.  They had turned on the burners and finished well ahead of me.  But that left me wondering if I was running the right route.  I did not want to cheat.  Later, I asked another runner who finished right behind me and he confirmed that we ran it completely.

After finishing, at 63 minutes and 4 seconds, I grabbed a banana and walked around for a while.  I got my time and watched others finish.  I stayed around for another half hour as winners were announced.  The winner of the 10k came in at 38 minutes plus a few seconds, so I was way off the winning mark.

My goal was to finish and not to stop or walk.  So I consider the event a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.