Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

In the middle

In the biography of Steve Jobs, I read about his partner at Apple, Steve Wozniak.  Woz was coached by his father to work as an engineer.  It was a respectable position in the middle of an organization.  Don't get too high in any place, his father advised.  I have similar feelings.  In my Next Job Personality Profile, it says very accurately I think, "Your type blend into groups, quietly enjoying what is going on, but typically feel no need to control or take on a dominant role."  I have not aspired to management because I don't have the voice for it, nor am I a particularly interesting speaker.  I am not one that can keep the attention of a group for long, so I usual defer the flow of a conversation to others.  I also don't want to get into the messiness of other people's lives.  I would be bothered with having to babysit adults and remind them to be on time and keep their comments to themselves.  However, I enjoy strong leadership in others.  When someone is in charge, I feel my role is to support that individual.  I don't feel like I need to bring them down a few pegs.  I want to make their lives as easy as possible so I work with them and try to understand what needs to be done.  I don't want to stand out, get called out, or be singled out.  I also don't want to lower the average.  It maybe a habit or a safety or a security thing.  It is just there within me.  I want to get along with people but I don't need to dominate people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.