Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It is more than just following the rules

I am finishing up the book "Linchpin" by Seth Godin.  What is challenging to me is that I am a rule follower.  I am compliant.  I don't like to rock the boat.  I have not seen myself as an artist or a performer.  Yet, in this world we now live in, we need to be someone who makes a difference, who becomes indispensable, who becomes that remarkable addition.  When we are those things, we become the company or the organization.  It would not be the same without us.  I can't say that I have felt that intricate to any place in the past.  However, I need to reconsider that as a possible goal.  Flying below the radar has been my habit because I don't like criticism and I don't like to stand out.  I am sensitive and not necessarily an original thinker.  Following the rules and reading the map are the safe ways to get through life.  I have lived that way and I can testify that it is not always the most rewarding.  I will need to find the balance.  In all of this, hope is not lost as I think I can add a certain zest and originality to a company.  I am one to strive for simplicity, elegance, and order.  Those could be my unique contributions.  We all want to do work that matters but work that matters is more than just following the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.